Trader Vic's Mai Tai Recipe (1st Hawaiian version)
Trader Vic took his Oakland-created Mai Tai to Hawaii in 1953 while creating drinks for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. As his supply of 17 and 15-year old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican rum was dwindling, he altered his recipe to substitute 1 ounce of a cheaper Jamaican rum. This recipe reflects that change.
Prep Time2 mins
Total Time2 mins
- 1 oz 15-year old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum
- 1 oz Red Heart or Coruba Jamaican Rum
- 1/4 oz Trader Vic's Orgeat Syrup
- 1/2 oz Holland DeKuyper Orange Curaçao
- 1/4 oz Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup
- Juice from one fresh lime
- 1 cup cubed ice
- 1 cup shaved ice
Combine rum, orange curaçao, orgeat syrup, rock candy syrup, lime juice, and cubed ice into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously (and we mean VIGOROUSLY, it truly makes the difference between a good Mai Tai and a great Mai Tai). Strain into an old fashioned glass over shaved ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 8mg | Sugar: 10g | Iron: 0.5mg