“Earthy and delicious … such a unique combination of flavors, but in a really good way. Also, nice to have the boost of energy first thing in the morning.”🙂 Shannon H.
Chocolate Matcha, an energizing Matcha smoothie sensation, effortlessly weaves together the rustic, deep flavors of matcha and cacao powders. Its intoxicating blend is further enhanced by the rich creaminess of almond butter and the sweet, mellow essence of ripe bananas.
This lively concoction isn’t just tantalizing to your taste buds, but also a veritable powerhouse of health benefits. It boasts a wealth of antioxidants from the vibrant green matcha and the deep, rich cacao, fused with a significant dose of potassium from the bananas, and a bounty of wholesome fats from the almond butter. Designed to nourish your heart, help reduce cholesterol levels, and provide a prolonged, steady release of energy, this smoothie is not just a refreshing beverage but a kick-start to your day.
Matcha Green Tea Powder – Matcha green tea leaves are shaded from sunlight 30 days before harvest to boost chlorophyll and amino acid production. This makes them extremely rich in catechins, a powerful antioxidant plant compound that is approximately 130 times greater than found in regular green tea. Matcha green tea powder is a powerful tool in the fight against free radical-based cell damage and has been shown to reduce the risk of liver disease.
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Cacao – Cacao powder, commonly used as a base ingredient for chocolate, is made by grinding up coco beans and removing the fat. Its main health benefit comes from an abundance of polyphenols, a naturally occurring group of antioxidants. Cacao powder is a heart-healthy ingredient, known to reduce high blood pressure, improve blood flow to your brain, lower the risk of stroke, and improve Type 2 diabetes symptoms. [Amazon]
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol. [Amazon]
Almond Butter – Almond butter is made from roasted, ground almonds and is often used as a substitute for peanut butter. It is high in monounsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E. Almond butter can help lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve the health of artery walls. [Amazon]
Honey – Honey is a thick, sticky liquid made from plant nectar by honeybees. It is rich in antioxidants, including phenolic acids and flavonoids that are excellent at reducing oxidative stress. Honey has been used to facilitate burn and wound healing for thousands of years and has shown great success in healing diabetes-related foot ulcers. [Amazon]
A standard blender is all that is required to make this Matcha smoothie. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using any one of the many available NutriBullet blenders as they are quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making this recipe for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make This Smoothie
The Chocolate Matcha smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place matcha powder, banana, cacao powder, almond milk, almond butter, honey, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Chocolate or cacao nibs can be substituted for the cacao powder without significantly changing the flavor profile, but check if they contain any added sugar.
- Place matcha powder, banana, cacao powder, almond milk, almond butter, honey, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Chocolate or cacao nibs can be substituted for the cacao powder without significantly changing the flavor profile, but check if they contain any added sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 6gSugar: 47gProtein: 22g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Matcha green tea powder is celebrated for its impressive nutritional profile, packed with a potent array of antioxidants, notably catechins. These are a type of plant compound known to work against the harmful effects of free radicals in the body, reducing inflammation and helping to prevent chronic diseases. Matcha also contains a unique compound called L-theanine, which promotes relaxation and aids in stress reduction without causing drowsiness. Furthermore, it’s a source of vitamins and minerals, and when consumed traditionally, you ingest the whole tea leaf, not just the brewed water, resulting in a higher intake of these beneficial compounds compared to regular green tea.
Yes, almond butter is quite calorie-dense due to its high fat content. However, these are predominantly monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy. A typical serving of almond butter (about two tablespoons) contains around 190 to 200 calories. While this might seem high, it’s worth noting that almond butter is also rich in essential nutrients like protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Therefore, when consumed in moderation, it can be a nutritious addition to a balanced diet.
More Matcha Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this Chocolate Matcha smoothie, try more of our delicious favorites on our Matcha Smoothie Recipes page.