“Nice and spicy with the garlic and ginger. Great post-workout, but don’t drink before a date … the garlic permeates!”~ Ken
Joe Rogan Kale Shake, a revitalizing Green smoothie recipe, is packed with kale-based fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6, and laced with garlic and ginger to give your immune system a much needed boost during cold and flu season. Joe drinks these for breakfast just to kick-start his day, but we think his Kale shake is also perfect anytime you start to feel that much dreaded tickle in the back of your throat …
Everything You Need
The Joe Rogan Kale Shake ingredients are:
Celery – Celery, a low calorie diet food, has a number of surprising health benefits. It is an excellent source of phytonutrients and is absolutely packed with cell-protecting antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta carotene, and flavonoids. Celery also reduces chronic inflammation, supports a healthy digestive tract, and and has an alkalizing effect that can help neutralize acidic foods.
Cucumbers – Cucumbers, while commonly mistaken for vegetables, are actually a highly nutritious fruit. They are rich in the antioxidants flavonoids and tannins that have been found to prevent cell damage by blocking harmful free radicals. Cucumbers also help reduce blood sugar and have been shown to prevent some diabetes-related complications.
Kale – Kale, a very popular cruciferous vegetable, is one of the most nutrient-packed foods you can eat. A single cup contains 200% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, 135% of the recommended vitamin C, and 685% of the recommended vitamin K, among many others. Kale also provides very high levels of the powerful antioxidants quercetin and kaempferol, known to lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation.
Pineapples – Pineapples are popular tangy tropical fruit that, surprising to most, originated in South America, not Hawaii. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants and nutrients, including a ridiculously high amount of vitamin C (1 serving = 131% of the recommended daily intake), manganese, vitamin B6, and thiamin. Pineapples also contain a significant amount of the digestive enzymes bromelain that can help fight pancreatic cancer.
Garlic – Garlic was originally prescribed to treat a variety of medical conditions in ancient Greece. It contains potent health benefits derived mostly from unique sulfur compounds such as allicin, diallyl disulfide, and s-allyl cysteine. Garlic is known for combating the common cold, reducing blood pressure, lowering cholesterol levels, preventing Alzheimer’s disease, and detoxifying heavy metals in the body.
Ginger – Ginger is a Southeast Asian flowering plant that is one of the healthiest spices on the planet. It contains the bioactive compound gingerol, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Ginger is also used to treat many forms of nausea, including morning sickness and sea sickness, to relieve chronic indigestion, to reduce joint pain resulting from osteoarthritis, and to help fight infections.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Joe Rogan Kale Shake Green Smoothie
The Joe Rogan Kale Shake Green smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place are celery, cucumber, kale, pineapple, garlic, ginger, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Sweeten this smoothie up a bit by adding a splash of apple juice.
- Place celery, cucumber, kale, pineapple, garlic, ginger, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Sweeten this smoothie up a bit by adding a splash of apple juice.
Serving Size:1 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Does garlic help to prevent you from getting sick?
Garlic has been recognized for its potential health benefits, including its antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties, largely due to a compound called allicin. While consuming garlic can support overall health and may help strengthen the immune system, it’s not a guaranteed shield against illness.
Will ginger shorten the duration of a cold?
Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties, and many people believe it can help alleviate cold symptoms. While ginger can provide relief from symptoms like nausea and sore throat, there’s limited scientific evidence to conclusively say it shortens the duration of a cold.
More Green Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Joe Rogan Kale Shake smoothie, try more of our revitalizing favorites on our Green Smoothie Recipes page.
USDA MyPlate: Website