“Such a unique flavor, tastes a bit like a Sweet Tart.”~ Jennifer
Dragon Fruit Sunset, a Superfruit Infused Specialty Juice It Up smoothie recipe, is a highly nutritious, nutrient-rich tropical smoothie loaded with cancer-fighting antioxidants and gut pleasing digestive enzymes. Tropically sweet from the passion fruit juice, tangy from the dragon fruit and pineapples, suspended in a nice creamy nonfat frozen yogurt base. Straight from the volcanic-rich mountain sides of Central America.
Everything You Need
The Juice It Up Dragon Fruit Sunset smoothie ingredients are:
- dragon fruit
- orange juice
- passion fruit-mango juice
- nonfat frozen yogurt
Dragon Fruit – Dragon fruit are actually a tropical cactus that taste like a combination of a kiwi and a pear and have enjoyed widespread popularity recently. They are nutrient-dense and are excellent sources of iron, magnesium, and fiber. Dragon fruit have been shown to reduce fatty liver and inflammation while promoting a healthy gut biome.
Pineapples – Pineapples are popular tangy tropical fruit that, surprising to most, originated in South America, not Hawaii. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants and nutrients, including a ridiculously high amount of vitamin C (1 serving = 131% of the recommended daily intake), manganese, vitamin B6, and thiamin. Pineapples also contain a significant amount of the digestive enzymes bromelain that can help fight pancreatic cancer.
Orange Juice – Oranges are the most popular of all citrus fruits. They are absolutely packed with vitamin C and provide significant amounts of the flavonoids hesperidin and naringenin as well as carotenoids beta-cryptoxanthin and lycopene. Oranges promote healthy immune function, boost heart health, and have been shown to prevent anemia.
Mango Juice – Mango, in some corners of the world, is known as the “King of Fruits” and delivers an impressive amount of potent nutrients and healthy plant compounds. They are extremely high in vitamin C and provide significant amounts of copper, folate, and vitamin B6. Mangoes are also known to boost your immune system, improve digestive health with their amylases enzymes, help prevent diabetes, and have even been shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Passion Fruit Juice – Passion fruit is a purple tropical fruit offering a wide-range of health benefits. It is most commonly known for its rich antioxidant profile and is a strong source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. Passion fruit is also extremely low on the glycemic index and can help improve insulin sensitivity, placing it among the fruit-favorites of the American Diabetes Association.
Nonfat Frozen Yogurt – Nonfat frozen yogurt is often hailed as a healthy alternative to traditional ice cream. It includes yogurt culture probiotics lactobacillus bulgaricus and streptococcus thermophilus and is often made with agave nectar instead of high-calorie sugar. Nonfat frozen yogurt is a common choice among those wanting to reduce their caloric intake.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Juice It Dragon Fruit Sunset Smoothie
The Juice It Dragon Fruit Sunset smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place dragon fruit, pineapple, orange juice, passion fruit juice, and nonfat frozen yogurt into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
If you can’t find dragon fruit, kiwi is the closest substitite, but will make this smoothie slightly more tangy.
- Place dragon fruit, pineapple, orange juice, passion fruit juice, and nonfat frozen yogurt into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- If you can't find dragon fruit, kiwi is the closest substitite, but will make this smoothie slightly more tangy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 115gFiber: 8gSugar: 84gProtein: 18g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Dragon fruit, also known as pitaya, originated from Central America but is now grown all over the world, particularly in Southeast Asia. It’s a tropical fruit that is cultivated on a cactus species named Hylocereus. The fruit is known for its vibrant pink or yellow skin and its unique white or red flesh that’s speckled with tiny black seeds.
Dragon fruit has a mildly sweet flavor, often described as a cross between a kiwi and a pear, but more muted. It possesses a subtly earthy taste with a hint of tartness. The texture is comparable to that of a kiwi, filled with tiny, crunchy seeds that add to its unique mouthfeel.
More Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Dragon Fruit Sunset smoothie, try more of our copycat favorites on our Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes page.
Juice It Up: Website