“Love this. So earthy and fresh, it just tastes healthy. I didn’t have any lemon juice so I used lemonade and it was tangy and delicious.”~ Laura S.
Kale-Apple Green, a revitalizing Green smoothie recipe, is soooo simple to make, and soooo good for your body. High in Iron, loaded with vitamin K, and dripping with antioxidants, kale is like a single-plant superfood. In addition, kale provides a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids to fight arthritis, asthma, and autoimmune disorders. Kale-Apple Green Smoothie FTW!
Everything You Need
The Kale-Apple Green smoothie ingredients are:
- apple juice
- lemon juice
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Celery – Celery, a low calorie diet food, has a number of surprising health benefits. It is an excellent source of phytonutrients and is absolutely packed with cell-protecting antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta carotene, and flavonoids. Celery also reduces chronic inflammation, supports a healthy digestive tract, and and has an alkalizing effect that can help neutralize acidic foods.
Kale – Kale, a very popular cruciferous vegetable, is one of the most nutrient-packed foods you can eat. A single cup contains 200% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, 135% of the recommended vitamin C, and 685% of the recommended vitamin K, among many others. Kale also provides very high levels of the powerful antioxidants quercetin and kaempferol, known to lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation.
Apple Juice – Apples are the most widely consumed fruit globally and boast more than 7,000 different varieties. They provide significant amounts vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, and potassium, and are loaded with power antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Apples can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, and promote gut health as a prebiotic.
Lemon Juice – Lemons are a sour citrus fruit that are packed with antioxidants and various other beneficial plan compounds. Just one lemon provides more than 50% of your recommended daily intake of cold and flu-busting vitamin C. Lemons are also known to aid weight loss, prevent kidney stones, and protect against anemia.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Kale-Apple Green Smoothie
The Kale-Apple Green smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place banana, celery, kale, apple juice, lemon juice, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Place banana, celery, kale, apple juice, lemon juice, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Serving Size:1 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 4gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
How can I reduce the bitterness of green smoothies?
Reducing the bitterness in green smoothies can be achieved by balancing the flavors correctly. One common method is to include a balance of sweet fruits in your smoothie. Fruits like bananas, mangoes, or pineapples are often used to counteract the bitter taste of greens. Adding a bit of healthy fat, like avocado, can also help balance out the bitterness. Another tip is to blend the greens with the liquid first until all the leafy chunks are gone before adding the other ingredients. Lastly, if the smoothie is still too bitter, a small amount of natural sweetener, like honey or agave, could be added. However, it’s best to use sweeteners sparingly to keep the smoothie as healthy as possible.
Why is iron good for your body?
Iron is an essential mineral crucial for various physiological functions, most notably its role in the production of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells responsible for transporting oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. Adequate iron levels ensure efficient oxygen delivery, supporting cellular metabolism, energy production, and overall muscle function. A deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, and impaired cognitive and immune functions.
More Green Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Kale-Apple Green smoothie, try more of our revitalizing favorites on our Green Smoothie Recipes page.
USDA MyPlate: Website