“Awesome post-workout smoothie … make sure to check the sugar-content of your peanut butter. Cashew butter works great too!”~ Jack
Keto Peanut Butter Cup, a fat-burning Keto smoothie recipe, is a rich and satisfying treat that combines the flavors of chocolate and peanut butter in a creamy and delicious drink. This smoothie is perfect for those moments when you’re craving something sweet and indulgent, yet want to stay on track with your ketogenic diet.
Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats, protein, and essential nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and vitamin E. The unsweetened cocoa powder adds antioxidants, while the MCT oil or coconut oil provide an energy boost and support ketosis. The keto-friendly protein powder contributes to muscle recovery and growth.
Everything You Need
The Keto Peanut Butter Cup smoothie ingredients are:
- almond milk
- peanut butter
- MCT Oil
- cacao powder
- chocolate protein powder (keto-friendly)
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol.
MCT Oil – MCT oil is a supplement made from medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are a type of fat found naturally in coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and dairy products. MCTs are unique because they are more easily absorbed and metabolized by the body compared to long-chain triglycerides (LCTs) found in most dietary fats. This rapid absorption and metabolism provide a quick source of energy, making MCT oil popular among athletes, those following a ketogenic diet, and individuals seeking to improve cognitive function or support weight management.
Peanut Butter – Peanuts are a South American legume that are actually closely related to beans. They are loaded with high-quality plant-based protein, healthy fats, and a rich antioxidant profile that includes isoflavones, p-coumaric acid, phytic acid, and phytosterols. Peanuts have been associated with gallstone prevention, reduced risk of heart disease, and the prevention of environmental cell damage.
Cacao – Cacao powder, commonly used as a base ingredient for chocolate, is made by grinding up coco beans and removing the fat. Its main health benefit comes from an abundance of polyphenols, a naturally occurring group of antioxidants. Cacao powder is a heart-healthy ingredient, known to reduce high blood pressure, improve blood flow to your brain, lower the risk of stroke, and improve Type 2 diabetes symptoms.
Stevia – Stevia is a sugar substitute made from the leaves of the stevia plant. It is about 200 times sweeter than traditional refined table sugar, but contains no carbohydrates, calories, or artificial ingredients. However, many users find the aftertaste bitter and displeasing.
Whey Protein Powder – Whey protein powder is the most highly studied nutritional supplement readily available, providing great nutritional value and numerous health benefits. In addition to high quality protein, it also contains bioactive peptides called lactokinins. Whey protein powder promotes muscle growth and maintenance, helps lower blood pressure, can lessen the effects of Type 2 diabetes, and reduces inflammation.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Keto Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
The Keto Peanut Butter Cup smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place almond milk, peanut butter, MCT oil, cacao powder, chocolate protein powder, Stevia, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
Soy milk or coconut milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie keto-friendly.
Almond butter can be substituted for regular peanut butter without significantly changing the flavor or the keto profile.
Add a pinch of sea salt for a salty-sweet flavor.
- Place almond milk, peanut butter, MCT oil, cacao powder, chocolate protein powder, Stevia, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- Soy milk or coconut milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie keto-friendly.
- Almond butter can be substituted for regular peanut butter without significantly changing the keto profile.
- Add a pinch of sea salt for a salty-sweet flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 4gSugar: 45gProtein: 54g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of peanut butter should I use in a Keto Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie?
For a Keto Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie, it’s best to use a natural, unsweetened peanut butter that contains only peanuts and, optionally, a small amount of salt. Many commercial peanut butter brands include added sugars or unhealthy oils, which can increase the carb content and negatively impact your ketogenic diet. By choosing a natural, unsweetened peanut butter, you’ll maintain the low-carb profile of your smoothie and enjoy the authentic taste of peanuts.
Can I substitute almond butter or other nut butters in a Keto Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie?
Yes, you can substitute almond butter or other nut butters in a Keto Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie. If you have a peanut allergy or simply prefer a different nut butter, you can swap the peanut butter for almond, cashew, or even sunflower seed butter. Just ensure that the nut butter you choose is unsweetened and free of added sugars or unhealthy oils to maintain the low-carb and keto-friendly nature of your smoothie. Keep in mind that the flavor profile will change slightly with the substitution, but the smoothie should still be delicious and satisfying.
More Keto Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Keto Peanut Butter Cup smoothie, try more of our fat-burning favorites on our Keto Smoothie Recipes page.