“So much good stuff in this one, and it tastes absolutely wonderful! Great way to start the day too, lots of fiber.”🙂 Wendy H.
Antioxidant Refresher, a Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipe, is an antioxidant powerhouse. In fact, if you are an oxidant, we recommend that you steer clear of this refreshing antioxidant-rich smoothie. Designed to neutralize and remove free radicals from the bloodstream, this health drink helps protect the skin, alleviate eye and heart problems, and boosts your immune system. And, it just tastes healthy!
Apples – Apples are the most widely consumed fruit globally and boast more than 7,000 different varieties. They provide significant amounts vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, and potassium, and are loaded with power antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Apples can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, and promote gut health as a prebiotic. [Amazon]
Blueberries – Blueberries are a popular superfood that are low in calories and highly nutritious. They are the king of antioxidants, being absolutely loaded with flavonoids, and provide significant amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese. Blueberries protect against aging and cancer, by reducing DNA damage, and boost heart function, by preventing LDL oxidization and lowering blood pressure.
Celery – Celery, a low calorie diet food, has a number of surprising health benefits. It is an excellent source of phytonutrients and is absolutely packed with cell-protecting antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta carotene, and flavonoids. Celery also reduces chronic inflammation, supports a healthy digestive tract, and and has an alkalizing effect that can help neutralize acidic foods. [Amazon]
Red Cabbage – Red cabbage is a nutrient-dense vegetable that offers several impressive health benefits. It provides vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, riboflavin, and thiamine. Red cabbage helps fight inflammation, reduces your risk of heart disease, and strengthens bones. [Amazon]
Watermelon – Watermelon originates from Africa and was first domesticated more than 4,000 years ago. It contains a variety of nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. In addition to keeping you hydrated, watermelon is known to inhibit tumor growth in various cancers and help prevent age-related macular degeneration. [Amazon]
A standard blender is all that is required to make Ninja Blender smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using any one of the many available Ninja Single Serve Blenders as they are quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Ninja Blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make This Smoothie
The Ninja Blender Antioxidant Refresher is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place apple, blueberries, celery, red cabbage, watermelon, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Apple juice can be substituted for the apples, but will change the drink’s consistency and will increase sugar content.
- Place apple, blueberries, celery, red cabbage, watermelon, water, and crushed ice into a Ninja Blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Apple juice can be substituted for the apples, but will change the drink's consistency and will increase sugar content.
Serving Size:1 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Unsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 8gSugar: 36gProtein: 2g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Antioxidants are crucial for the body as they combat free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can damage cells, DNA, and proteins. This damage, known as oxidative stress, has been linked to a variety of chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and neurodegenerative disorders. Antioxidants neutralize these free radicals, helping to prevent or slow down the damage they can cause. Furthermore, they support the immune system, reduce inflammation, and aid in skin health. By protecting cells from oxidative damage, antioxidants play a vital role in promoting overall health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
Blueberries, like many fruits, naturally contain sugars, but they wouldn’t be classified as having a “lot” of sugar compared to many processed foods. In a typical serving of blueberries (about 1 cup or 148 grams), there are roughly 15 grams of natural sugars. However, it’s essential to consider the context: these sugars come with a host of beneficial nutrients, including dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and potent antioxidants. While they contain naturally occurring sugars, blueberries also provide significant health benefits and can be part of a balanced diet without concerns of excessive sugar intake.
More Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this Antioxidant Refresher smoothie recipe, try more of our delicious favorites on our Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes page.
Ninja Blender: Website