“Super-easy to make and fun for the kids … just make sure they can go outside afterwards!”~ Jill
Icy Almond Cacao Shot, a popular Ninja Blender “Smoothies & Super Juices” recipe, is a smooth, creamy, and rich chocolate smoothie shot sporting a bit of a kick. And, with an almond-milk base, it is totally dairy-free. Tastes like an old-timey glass of home-made chocolate milk with a nutty finish.
Everything You Need
The Ninja Blender Icy Almond Cacao Shot ingredients are:
- almond milk
- agave nectar
- almond butter
- cacao powder
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol.
Agave Nectar – Agave nectar is the boiled down sap of the Latin American agave plant. Although marketed as a “healthy sweetener” with medicinal qualities, when processed into a highly refined syrup, all potential health benefits are destroyed.
Almond Butter – Almond butter is made from roasted, ground almonds and is often used as a substitute for peanut butter. It is high in monounsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin E. Almond butter can help lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve the health of artery walls.
Cacao – Cacao powder, commonly used as a base ingredient for chocolate, is made by grinding up coco beans and removing the fat. Its main health benefit comes from an abundance of polyphenols, a naturally occurring group of antioxidants. Cacao powder is a heart-healthy ingredient, known to reduce high blood pressure, improve blood flow to your brain, lower the risk of stroke, and improve Type 2 diabetes symptoms.
Flaxseed – Flaxseed has a mild, nutty flavor and a crisp, crunchy texture. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals and high in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed is rich in fiber, has potent cancer-fighting properties, particularly for breast cancer colorectal cancer, and skin cancer, and benefits your heart by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
A standard blender is all that is required to make Ninja Blender smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using any one of the many available Ninja Single Serve Blenders as they are quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Ninja Blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Ninja Blender Icy Almond Cacao Shot
The Ninja Blender Icy Almond Cacao Shot is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place almond milk, agave nectar, almond butter, flaxseed, cacao powder, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
Coconut milk or soy milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
Dark chocolate may be substituted for cacao powder without significantly changing the flavor profile.
- Place almond milk, agave nectar, almond butter, flaxseed, cacao powder, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- Coconut milk or soy milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
- Dark chocolate may be substituted for cacao powder without significantly changing the flavor profile.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 13gSugar: 56gProtein: 32g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Almond milk is a popular plant-based milk substitute that offers a range of health benefits, especially for those who are lactose intolerant, allergic to cow’s milk, or following a vegan diet. It’s naturally low in calories and sugar, provided you opt for unsweetened versions. While it doesn’t offer as much protein as cow’s milk, almond milk is rich in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, and is often fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
Cacao powder contains a modest amount of caffeine, typically ranging from about 12 to 50 milligrams per tablespoon, depending on the brand and processing method. However, it’s worth noting that cacao also contains theobromine, another stimulant that’s milder than caffeine but can similarly boost energy and mood. While cacao is not as potent a source of caffeine as coffee or black tea, its caffeine content can still be a factor for those who are sensitive to stimulants.
More Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Icy Almond Cacao Shot smoothie, try more of our popular favorites on our Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes page.
Ninja Blender: Website