“Love this for my hot flashes, maca is magical.”~ Cheryl
So Hearty, a popular NutriBullet smoothie recipe, is an antioxidant-packed heart-healthy smoothie that is loaded with the Peruvian superfood maca. Sweet from the raspberries and strawberries, creamy from the banana and almond milk, earthy from the beets, with slightly nutty undertones from the adaptogenic plant maca. It’s great for your ticker!
Everything You Need
The NutriBullet So Hearty smoothie ingredients are:
- vanilla almond milk
- vanilla whey protein powder
- maca powder
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Beets – Beets possess a particularly powerful nutritional profile. They are extremely low in calories, yet rich in vitamins and minerals important to athletic performance. Beets contain significant amounts of folate, important to physical growth and heart health, manganese, which assists bone strength and brain function, and copper, which facilitates energy production. Studies have shown that beets can help lower blood pressure, fight inflammation, and reduce age-related cognitive decline.
Raspberries – Raspberries are a popular seasonal fruit that are actually a member of the rose family. They are packed with vitamin C and manganese and also provide several B vitamins, vitamin E, and vitamin K. Raspberries are very high in antioxidant plant compounds that protect against cell damage and can help reduce your risk of various chronic diseases.
Strawberries – Strawberries are a flavorful staple of many healthy smoothies and shakes. They are an excellent source of several important antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds including pelargonidin, ellagic acid, ellagitannins, and procyanidins. Strawberries are widely known to decrease the risk of heart disease, help regulate blood sugar, and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol.
Maca – Maca is a popular Peruvian cruciferous vegetable that has been used medicinally for thousands of years to boost fertility and increase libido in men. It contains several beneficial bioactive compounds including macamides, macaridine, alkaloids, and glucosinolates. Maca root has been shown to relieve symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes, sleep issues, irritability, and low energy levels.
Whey Protein Powder – Whey protein powder is the most highly studied nutritional supplement readily available, providing great nutritional value and numerous health benefits. In addition to high quality protein, it also contains bioactive peptides called lactokinins. Whey protein powder promotes muscle growth and maintenance, helps lower blood pressure, can lessen the effects of Type 2 diabetes, and reduces inflammation.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these NutriBullet smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend the higher-end full-sized NutriBullet Smart Touch that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The So Hearty Smoothie
The Nutribullet So Hearty smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place banana, beet, raspberries, strawberries, vanilla almond milk, vanilla whey protein powder, and maca powder into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Coconut milk or soy milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
- Place banana, beet, raspberries, strawberries, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, vanilla whey protein powder, and maca powder into a NutriBullet blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Coconut milk or soy milk can be substituted for the almond milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 11gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Nutribullet blenders are designed for ease of use. With a compact design and simple mechanism, users typically just need to fill the blending cup with ingredients, twist on the blade attachment, and press or twist the cup onto the base to blend. Cleaning is also straightforward, as many parts are dishwasher safe.
Maca, a root native to the Andes of Peru, is considered a superfood due to its rich nutritional profile and potential health benefits. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and phytonutrients. Maca is particularly noted for its ability to enhance energy, stamina, and mental clarity without the jitteriness of caffeine. It’s also reputed for its adaptogenic qualities, meaning it can help the body adapt to and manage stress. Additionally, maca has been traditionally used to improve sexual function and libido, balance hormone levels, and boost mood. Its unique nutritional composition, including important minerals like iron, potassium, and calcium, and its potential to support physical and mental well-being, contribute to its superfood status.
More NutriBullet Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious So Hearty smoothie, try more of our popular favorites on our NutriBullet Smoothie Recipes page.