“Super-filling and so much protein, perfect post-workout recovery drink for a practicing vegan.”🙂 Kim
Vegan Nutty Super Grain, a copycat Smoothie King recipe, is a powerful après-workout recovery shake, loaded with antioxidants, potassium, and nut-based protein for muscle growth. Delicious creamy bananas and nutty peanut butter, earthy hemp, slightly sweetened in an organic apple juice base. The perfect smoothie for every day health and wellness or as a post-workout recovery drink.
Everything You Need
The Smoothie King Vegan Nutty Super Grain ingredients are:
- peanut butter
- almond milk
- apple juice
- cacao powder
- hemp protein powder
- Collagen Boost, optional
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Peanut Butter – Peanuts are a South American legume that are actually closely related to beans. They are loaded with high-quality plant-based protein, healthy fats, and a rich antioxidant profile that includes isoflavones, p-coumaric acid, phytic acid, and phytosterols. Peanuts have been associated with gallstone prevention, reduced risk of heart disease, and the prevention of environmental cell damage.
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol.
Pineapple Juice – Pineapples are popular tangy tropical fruit that, surprising to most, originated in South America, not Hawaii. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants and nutrients, including a ridiculously high amount of vitamin C (1 serving = 131% of the recommended daily intake), manganese, vitamin B6, and thiamin. Pineapples also contain a significant amount of the digestive enzymes bromelain that can help fight pancreatic cancer.
Cacao – Cacao powder, commonly used as a base ingredient for chocolate, is made by grinding up coco beans and removing the fat. Its main health benefit comes from an abundance of polyphenols, a naturally occurring group of antioxidants. Cacao powder is a heart-healthy ingredient, known to reduce high blood pressure, improve blood flow to your brain, lower the risk of stroke, and improve Type 2 diabetes symptoms.
Hemp Protein Powder – Hemp protein powder has an earthy, nutty taste and is made by grinding pressed hemp seeds into a powder. It contains all nine essential amino acids and is a high-quality planted-based protein source. Hemp protein powder is typically used by health-conscious body builders and by those trying to gain weight or increase muscle mass.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Smoothie King Vegan Nutty Super Grain
The Smoothie King Vegan Nutty Super Grain is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place banana, peanut butter, almond milk, apple juice, cacao powder, hemp protein powder, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Pea protein powder can be substituted for the hemp protein powder and still keep this delicious smoothie vegan.
- Place banana, peanut butter, almond milk, apple juice, cacao powder, hemp protein powder, and ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Pea protein powder can be substituted for the hemp protein powder and still keep this delicious smoothie vegan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 20gProtein: 38g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Hemp protein powder is considered good for you, especially as a plant-based protein source. It’s derived from the seeds of the hemp plant, which is part of the Cannabis sativa family. Hemp protein is rich in essential amino acids, making it a complete protein, which is beneficial for muscle repair and growth. It’s also high in fiber, which can aid digestion and promote a feeling of fullness, supporting weight management. Additionally, hemp protein contains beneficial fatty acids, including omega-3 and omega-6, in a healthy ratio, which can contribute to heart health.
Hemp protein powder does not have mind-altering effects. Although it comes from the Cannabis sativa plant, which is the same species that marijuana comes from, hemp protein is made from the seeds of the plant, which contain negligible amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound responsible for the “high” associated with marijuana.
More Smoothie King Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Vegan Nutty Super Grain smoothie, try more of our copycat favorites on our Smoothie King Recipes page.
Smoothie King: Website