“Super-healthy and loaded with protein, perfect post-workout as a tasty recovery drink. Goji berries are all the rage right now!”~ Andrew
Coconut Goji Berry, a popular Vitamix smoothie recipe, is a delicious berry-filled smoothie that is loaded with dietary fiber and antioxidants. Sweet from the berries and vanilla in a creamy banana and coconut milk base. The addition of chia and hemp seeds is a great way to add fiber, fat, and protein, leaving you feeling full for longer.
Everything You Need
The Vitamix Coconut Goji Berry smoothie ingredients are:
- mixed berries
- coconut milk
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- goji berries
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Mixed Berries – Berries are some of the most healthy foods one can eat, and they are absolutely delicious. They are loaded with free radical neutralizing antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese, and are high in dietary fiber. Berries are also known to reduce blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity, fight inflammation, and lower cholesterol levels.
Spinach – Spinach has long been a major staple of healthy eating. It is loaded with important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A producing carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K1, calcium, folic acid, and iron. Studies have shown that the regular addition of spinach to one’s diet can help improve eye health, promote heart health, boost immune function, and make bones stronger.
Coconut Milk – Coconut milk, produced by mixing coconut meat with water, has recently become a popular alternative to traditional cow’s milk. It is highly caloric, but offers significant levels of manganese, copper, iron, magnesium, and selenium. Coconut milk also contains medium-chain triglycerides that have been show to lower LDL cholesterol levels.
Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are small in size, but big in nutritional value. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and are rich in dietary fiber. In addition, the compounds in chia seeds have been shown to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals, assist with lowering blood pressure, and reduce inflammation.
Hemp Seeds – Hemp seeds are nutrient rich, loaded with healthy fats, and extremely high in plant-based protein. They contain significant amounts of the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, and high amounts of the amino acid arginine. Hemp seeds are known to reduce the risk of heart disease, fight inflammation, and provide relief from skin disorders such as eczema.
Goji Berries – Goji berries have recently come into superfood fashion due to their abundant antioxidant profile and powerful medicinal qualities. Just one serving (5 tablespoons) provides a staggering 500% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A and significant amounts of vitamin C and iron. Goji berries are best known for their ability to promote immune function and support healthy vision.
A standard blender is all that is required to make this Vitamix smoothie. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the smaller Vitamix One blender as it is quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Vitamix Coconut Goji Berry Smoothie
The Vitamix Coconut Goji Berry smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place bananas, mixed berries, spinach, unsweetened coconut milk, chia seed, hemp seeds, dried goji berries, and vanilla extract into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Almond milk or soy milk can be substituted for the coconut milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
- Place bananas, mixed berries, spinach, unsweetened coconut milk, chia seed, hemp seeds, dried goji berries, and vanilla extract into a Vitamix blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Almond milk or soy milk can be substituted for the coconut milk and still keep this delicious smoothie dairy-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 426mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 16gSugar: 57gProtein: 29g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Why are goji berries considered a superfood?
Goji berries are considered a superfood due to their high nutrient density, including significant amounts of vitamins A and C, fiber, iron, and antioxidants. They also contain unique phytochemicals, like polysaccharides and zeaxanthin, which contribute to their potential health benefits such as boosting immune function, promoting eye health, and potentially protecting against aging and disease.
Do organic hemp seeds contain any THC?
Hemp seeds come from the same cannabis plant family as marijuana but they typically do not contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound that gives marijuana its characteristic high. While there may be trace amounts due to plant residue, it’s generally not enough to produce a psychoactive effect or to cause a positive drug test.
More Vitamix Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Coconut Goji Berry smoothie, try more of our popular favorites on our Vitamix Smoothie Recipes page.