A flavorful peanut butter based seasonal horchata protein smoothie from Juice It Up, learn how to make at home.
PB Horchata, a Juice It Up Smoothie Recipe, is a variation on the seasonal Horchata smoothie but with the addition of protein-packed peanut butter. Sweet dates and bananas, with a dusting of spicy cinnamon, in a creamy almond milk and nonfat frozen yogurt base. A nice post-workout muscle repairing protein shake, perfect after a long session at the gym!
“Nice spin on the traditional protein shake. I added a little chocolate whey protein powder which upped the protein boost and made it taste a bit like Reeses Pieces.”
What Is In The PB Horchata Smoothie At Juice It Up?
The Juice It Up PB Horchata smoothie ingredients are:
- almond milk
- nonfat frozen yogurt
- peanut butter
- chia seeds
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Dates – Dates are the sweet and chewy fruit of a palm tree that are typically consumed dried. They are highly nutritious, containing significant vitamin B6, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, and potassium. Dates are abundant in disease-fighting antioxidants and have been shown to improve brain function by reducing inflammation and preventing plaque formation.
Almond Milk – Almond milk is a popular nut-based milk replacement that is naturally lactose-free, dairy-free, and completely vegan. It has a surprisingly diverse set of nutrients, including significant amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium. Almond milk is also a heart-healthy beverage for those interested in lowering their cholesterol.
Nonfat Frozen Yogurt – Nonfat frozen yogurt is often hailed as a healthy alternative to traditional ice cream. It includes yogurt culture probiotics lactobacillus bulgaricus and streptococcus thermophilus and is often made with agave nectar instead of high-calorie sugar. Nonfat frozen yogurt is a common choice among those wanting to reduce their caloric intake.
Peanut Butter – Peanuts are a South American legume that are actually closely related to beans. They are loaded with high-quality plant-based protein, healthy fats, and a rich antioxidant profile that includes isoflavones, p-coumaric acid, phytic acid, and phytosterols. Peanuts have been associated with gallstone prevention, reduced risk of heart disease, and the prevention of environmental cell damage.
Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are small in size, but big in nutritional value. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and are rich in dietary fiber. In addition, the compounds in chia seeds have been shown to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals, assist with lowering blood pressure, and reduce inflammation.
Cinnamon – Cinnamon is an ancient spice that has been used medicinally for thousands of years. It is high in powerful antioxidants, such as polyphenols, and is loaded with cinnamaldehyde, which also provides significant health benefits. Cinnamon is a known anti-inflammatory, helps reduce cholesterol, improves sensitivity to insulin, and aids in the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
A standard blender is all that is required to make this Juice It Up smoothie. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using any one of the many available NutriBullet blenders as they are quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making this recipe for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make This Smoothie
The Juice It Up PB Horchata smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place bananas, dates, almond milk, nonfat frozen yogurt, peanut butter, chia seeds, and cinnamon into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Similar Tasting Smoothies You Might Like
The following are some popular variations on the seasonal horchata smoothie:
- Place bananas, dates, almond milk, nonfat frozen yogurt, peanut butter, chia seeds, and cinnamon into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 161gFiber: 11gSugar: 113gProtein: 29g
More Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this PB Horchata smoothie recipe, try more of our delicious favorites on our Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes page.
Juice It Up: Website