“Bring the heat. This one has just the right amount of spice, so delicious and healthy.”🙂Martha
The Turmeric, a Plant-Based Specialty Juice It Up smoothie recipe, is a spicy raw fruit and veggie smoothie boasting huge anti-inflammatory qualities and absolutely bursting with antioxidants. Sweet apple juice, tangy pineapple, earthy carrots, spicy ginger and turmeric, in a smooth and creamy banana base. So many health benefits in this glass, a truly special elixir that just makes your body feel good!
The Juice It Up The Turmeric smoothie ingredients are:
- apple juice
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Carrots – Carrots are a super-healthy root vegetable that are an excellent source of fiber. They are high in vitamin A, vitamin K1, beta carotene, potassium, and loaded with antioxidants. Carrots are most famous for promoting good vision, but also lower cholesterol and help protect against various forms of cancer.
Pineapples – Pineapples are popular tangy tropical fruit that, surprising to most, originated in South America, not Hawaii. They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants and nutrients, including a ridiculously high amount of vitamin C (1 serving = 131% of the recommended daily intake), manganese, vitamin B6, and thiamin. Pineapples also contain a significant amount of the digestive enzymes bromelain that can help fight pancreatic cancer.
Apple Juice – Apples are the most widely consumed fruit globally and boast more than 7,000 different varieties. They provide significant amounts vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, and potassium, and are loaded with power antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Apples can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, and promote gut health as a prebiotic.
Ginger – Ginger is a Southeast Asian flowering plant that is one of the healthiest spices on the planet. It contains the bioactive compound gingerol, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Ginger is also used to treat many forms of nausea, including morning sickness and sea sickness, to relieve chronic indigestion, to reduce joint pain resulting from osteoarthritis, and to help fight infections.
Turmeric – Turmeric is a yellow Indian spice that has been used medicinally for thousands of years. Its primary bioactive ingredient is curcumin, that delivers powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric has been shown to increase the antioxidant capacity of your body by neutralizing free radicals and stimulating the protective action of other antioxidants.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Juice It Up The Turmeric Smoothie
The Juice It Up The Turmeric smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place bananas, carrots, pineapple, apple juice, ginger, and turmeric into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Place bananas, carrots, pineapple, apple juice, ginger, and turmeric into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 120gFiber: 15gSugar: 65gProtein: 17g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Turmeric is highly prized for its main active ingredient, curcumin, which is a potent antioxidant and has strong anti-inflammatory properties. These characteristics can help combat oxidative damage and inflammation, both of which play a role in many common diseases. Additionally, some research suggests that curcumin may improve brain function, fight Alzheimer’s, and reduce the risk of heart disease, though more studies are needed.
Ginger does contain compounds like gingerols and zingerone that have been found to exhibit antiviral activity in laboratory studies. These compounds can potentially help inhibit the replication of certain viruses.
More Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious The Turmeric smoothie, try more of our copycat favorites on our Juice It Up Smoothie Recipes page.
Juice It Up: Website