“A nice citrusy twist on the standard protein shake. Use vanilla protein powder and it tastes like an Orange Whip!”~ Justin D.
Tangerine Protein Machine, a popular Ninja Blender “Smoothies & Super Juices” recipe, is a fresh muscle-building protein shake that is also potassium packed and loaded with antioxidants. Plus, with it’s tangy tangerine complemented by creamy banana and a hint of vanilla, it just tastes amazing. A tasty pre or post workout drink to help build and repair a well exercised body.
Everything You Need
The Ninja Blender Tangerine Protein Machine smoothie ingredients are
- baby spinach
- coconut water
- whey protein powder
Bananas – Bananas are very healthy, readily available, and one of the least expensive fruits you can buy. They have relatively few calories, are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium, are full of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and animes, and are high in dietary fiber. Studies have shown that bananas can improve insulin sensitivity and may improve kidney health.
Tangerines – Tangerines, a type of mandarin, are the second most cultivated citrus fruit after oranges. They are nutrient-rich, containing vitamin A, vitamin C, potsassium, and a multitude of powerful antioxidants such as naringin, hesperidin, tangeretin, and nobiletin. Tangerines are excellent immunity boosters, protect against neurodegenerative diseases such Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, and promote healthy skin by boosting collagen synthesis.
Baby Spinach – Baby spinach is an early harvest leafy green that is slightly sweeter than regular spinach. It is nutrient-dense, containing significant vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate, iron, and zinc. Baby spinach is known to promote eye health, lower blood sugar levels, help prevent anemia, and reduce the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
Coconut Water – Coconut water has become an increasingly popular health drink as of late. It is low in calories, efficiently replenishes electrolytes, is an excellent source of potassium, and contains potent free radical fighting antioxidants. Also, coconut water has been shown to lower blood sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes, prevent kidney stone formation, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Whey Protein Powder – Whey protein powder is the most highly studied nutritional supplement readily available, providing great nutritional value and numerous health benefits. In addition to high quality protein, it also contains bioactive peptides called lactokinins. Whey protein powder promotes muscle growth and maintenance, helps lower blood pressure, can lessen the effects of Type 2 diabetes, and reduces inflammation.
A standard blender is all that is required to make Ninja Blender smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using any one of the many available Ninja Single Serve Blenders as they are quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Ninja Blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Ninja Blender 3-2-1 Immune Boost Smoothie
The Ninja Blender 3-2-1 Immune Boost smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place bananas, tangerine, baby spinach, coconut water, vanilla whey protein powder, and ice into a Ninja Blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Oranges can be substituted for the tangerines, but your smoothie will be slightly less tangy.
- Place bananas, tangerine, baby spinach, coconut water, vanilla whey protein powder, and ice into a Ninja Blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- For ease of use, we recommend peeling and slicing a number of bananas, putting them in a freezer bag, and storing them in your freezer for quick access.
- If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Oranges can be substituted for the tangerines, but your smoothie will be slightly less tangy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 114gFiber: 15gSugar: 60gProtein: 87g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
While tangerines and oranges are both citrus fruits and share some similarities, they are distinct in several ways. Tangerines are generally smaller, softer, and easier to peel than oranges. Flavor-wise, tangerines are sweeter and less tart. Nutritionally, both fruits offer a good dose of vitamin C, but oranges usually have more vitamin C and calcium per serving. Tangerines, however, often contain more vitamin A. Another difference lies in their phytonutrients; for instance, oranges contain more hesperidin, which has been studied for its potential to lower blood pressure, while tangerines have unique compounds like tangeretin, which has been researched for its anti-cancer properties.
Protein powder in itself doesn’t directly cause weight gain. It’s a supplement that provides additional protein, which can assist in muscle growth when combined with resistance training. However, weight gain or loss is primarily dictated by total calorie intake in relation to calorie expenditure. If someone consumes protein powder in addition to their regular diet and exceeds their daily caloric needs, it can result in weight gain. Conversely, when used as a meal replacement or within a controlled caloric regimen, it won’t inherently lead to weight gain. It’s important to consider the overall context of its use, the type of protein powder (some come with added sugars and calories), and one’s broader dietary and exercise habits.
More Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Tangerine Protein Machine smoothie, try more of our popular favorites on our Ninja Blender Smoothie Recipes page.
Ninja Blender: Website