“Excellent recovery drink after a late night out … so many good things in this one! Add a little nonfat frozen yogurt to thicken it up and make it more filling.”~ Jake B.
Realfood Liver Detox, a cleansing detox smoothie recipe, is a liver restoring nutrient powerhouse. Created to boost your system’s natural ability to flush harmful toxins from the liver, the Realfood helps your body to help itself. Natural and powerful … just the way we like it!
Everything You Need
The Realfood Liver Detox smoothie ingredients are:
- baby spinach
- dandelion greens
- purple cabbage
Apples – Apples are the most widely consumed fruit globally and boast more than 7,000 different varieties. They provide significant amounts vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, and potassium, and are loaded with power antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Apples can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, and promote gut health as a prebiotic.
Baby Spinach – Baby spinach is an early harvest leafy green that is slightly sweeter than regular spinach. It is nutrient-dense, containing significant vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate, iron, and zinc. Baby spinach is known to promote eye health, lower blood sugar levels, help prevent anemia, and reduce the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
Beets – Beets possess a particularly powerful nutritional profile. They are extremely low in calories, yet rich in vitamins and minerals important to athletic performance. Beets contain significant amounts of folate, important to physical growth and heart health, manganese, which assists bone strength and brain function, and copper, which facilitates energy production. Studies have shown that beets can help lower blood pressure, fight inflammation, and reduce age-related cognitive decline.
Carrots – Carrots are a super-healthy root vegetable that are an excellent source of fiber. They are high in vitamin A, vitamin K1, beta carotene, potassium, and loaded with antioxidants. Carrots are most famous for promoting good vision, but also lower cholesterol and help protect against various forms of cancer.
Dandelion Greens – Dandelion greens have been used medicinally for hundreds of years, both in teas and in edible cuisine. They are highly nutritious plants, containing vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, and folate. Dandelion greens have been shown to protect against liver damage by helping to reduce excess liver fat, remove toxins from the body using its diuretic effect, and reduce cholesterol and triglycerides.
Lemons – Lemons are a sour citrus fruit that are packed with antioxidants and various other beneficial plan compounds. Just one lemon provides more than 50% of your recommended daily intake of cold and flu-busting vitamin C. Lemons are also known to aid weight loss, prevent kidney stones, and protect against anemia.
Red Cabbage – Red cabbage is a nutrient-dense vegetable that offers several impressive health benefits. It provides vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, riboflavin, and thiamine. Red cabbage helps fight inflammation, reduces your risk of heart disease, and strengthens bones.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these delicious smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend a higher-end Vitamix blender that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Realfood Liver Detox Smoothie
The Realfood Liver Detox smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place apple, baby spinach, beets, carrots, dandelion greens, lemon, purple cabbage, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Place apple, baby spinach, beets, carrots, dandelion greens, lemon, purple cabbage, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Serving Size:1 g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Unsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 8gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
Dandelion greens are known for their detoxifying properties due to their high content of vitamins and minerals that support liver health and function. They stimulate the production of bile, a substance that helps break down fats and remove waste products from the body. Furthermore, their diuretic effect can help the kidneys filter and eliminate toxins more effectively.
Beets are highly nutritious, packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds. They are particularly rich in fiber, vitamin C, folate, and potassium, and contain nitrates, which can lower blood pressure and enhance athletic performance. Additionally, the pigment betalain gives beets their vibrant color and has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
More Detox Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Realfood Liver Detox smoothie, try more of our cleansing favorites on our Detox Smoothie Recipes page.