“One of my favorite smoothies. I really wish I could find actual Yuzu here in the U.S., but I substituted in lemon and a squeeze of lime and it tasted great. Also, add a little ice for texture.”~ Anne
Winter Green Yuzu, a popular Vitamix smoothie recipe, is a unique Japanese citrus based smoothie that is packed with both Vitamin C and leafy greens. Sweet apples and dates, tangy and tart oranges and yuzu, earthy spinach, in refreshing watery base. Truly a special drink, based on a special fruit.
Everything You Need
The Vitamix Winter Green Yuzu smoothie ingredients are:
Apples – Apples are the most widely consumed fruit globally and boast more than 7,000 different varieties. They provide significant amounts vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, and potassium, and are loaded with power antioxidants, especially polyphenols. Apples can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, and promote gut health as a prebiotic.
Dates – Dates are the sweet and chewy fruit of a palm tree that are typically consumed dried. They are highly nutritious, containing significant vitamin B6, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, and potassium. Dates are abundant in disease-fighting antioxidants and have been shown to improve brain function by reducing inflammation and preventing plaque formation.
Oranges – Oranges are the most popular of all citrus fruits. They are absolutely packed with vitamin C and provide significant amounts of the flavonoids hesperidin and naringenin as well as carotenoids beta-cryptoxanthin and lycopene. Oranges promote healthy immune function, boost heart health, and have been shown to prevent anemia.
Spinach – Spinach has long been a major staple of healthy eating. It is loaded with important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A producing carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K1, calcium, folic acid, and iron. Studies have shown that the regular addition of spinach to one’s diet can help improve eye health, promote heart health, boost immune function, and make bones stronger.
Yuzu – Yuzu is a sour Japanese citrus fruit, similar to a lemon, that is packed with antioxidants and various other beneficial plan compounds. Just one yuzu provides more than 50% of your recommended daily intake of cold and flu-busting vitamin C. Yuzu are also known to aid weight loss, prevent kidney stones, and protect against anemia.
A standard blender is all that is required to make these NutriBullet smoothies. If you are making it for just one person, we recommend using the truly amazing personal NutriBullet Ultra as it is super-quick to set up and very easy to clean.
If you are making them for more than one person, we recommend the higher-end full-sized NutriBullet Smart Touch that can process larger loads more efficiently.
For overnight storage, we recommend using a glass or BPA-free airtight container with a resealable lid.
How To Make The Vitamix Winter Green Yuzu Smoothie
The Vitamix Winter Green Yuzu smoothie is very easy to make:
- Step 1: Place apples, dates oranges, spinach, yuzu, water, and crushed ice into a blender and secure the lid.
- Step 2: Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Step 3: Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Step 4: Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you don’t have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
Lemon with a squeeze of lime can be substituted for the difficult-to-find Japanese yuzu.
- Place apples, dates oranges, spinach, yuzu, water, and crushed ice into a Vitamix blender and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed and steadily ramp up to its highest speed. This will reduce wear and tear on the motor and blades, facilitate a more consistent blend, and help prevent food splatter onto the lid and sides.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds or until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a glass for immediate refreshment or place in the refrigerator in an airtight container to enjoy later.
- If you don't have frozen fruit, or simply prefer to use fresh fruit (we totally get that), we recommend adding 1/2 cup of ice to chill your smoothie and give it a pleasing icy texture.
- Lemon with a squeeze of lime can be substituted for the difficult-to-find Japanese yuzu.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 16gSugar: 55gProtein: 20g
Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
What is a yuzu?
Yuzu, a citrus fruit native to East Asia, is highly nutritious, packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and other beneficial plant compounds, which can support immune function and overall health. It also has a unique flavor profile and can add a distinctive zest to food, though it should be consumed as part of a balanced diet due to its sugar content.
Are dates good for you even with all of the sugar?
Yes, despite their high sugar content, dates are rich in essential nutrients like fiber, potassium, magnesium, and various B vitamins, contributing to their overall health benefits. However, like any food high in sugar, they should be eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet, especially for individuals monitoring their sugar intake.
More Vitamix Smoothie Recipes
→ If you liked this delicious Winter Green Yuzu smoothie, try more of our popular favorites on our Vitamix Smoothie Recipes page.